Agrifood technology innovation remains crucial to meet the challenges posed by strong population growth, rapid urbanisation and changing consumer preferences. It is projected that the African population will increase from 1.3 billion in 2020 to 2.5 billion by 2050, with the urban population expected to increase from 400 million to 1.2 billion during this period.
The challenge is even greater given that our continent is currently not food self-sufficient with an average of US$ 45 billion in food products being imported each year. Africa has the human capital and natural resource capacity to meet these challenges in a sustainable and environmentally responsible way if agrifood tech innovation and entrepreneurship are enabled.
AgVentures is Africa’s leading agrifood tech investor. We invest in privately-owned agrifood companies with the potential to transform the African agrifood sector due to their innovative technology and dynamic entrepreneurship. We are more than an investor – we become a partner and assist investee companies to build their businesses and expand across Africa. Our head office is in South Africa.
B.Compt (Hons), CA (SA)
- 12 years agrifood private equity experience.
- Shareholder and director of Acorn Private Equity, a specialist agrifood private equity firm.
- Executive of Acorn Agri & Food (previously Acorn Agri).
- Co-founded Acorn Agri, a leading South African agrifood corporate.
PhD (Agricultural Economics)
- Lecturer at Department Agricultural Economics at Stellenbosch University.
- Researcher at Bureau of Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Freelance journalist and columnist for Landbouweekblad on agrifood tech trends.
Analyst & Investor Relations
B.Com (Hons), CFA level 2 candidate
- 1 Year African investment banking experience.
- Originated, facilitated, structured & managed various transactions.
- Certified Financial Modelling and Valuation Analyst.